The village Nymfaio (formerly NIVES or Neveska) is mountain village (alt. 1350) designated "preserved traditional settlement."
Located on the southern tip of the county, on the eastern slope of the conditions Verno within 57 km from the town of Florina through road sour water. Tour guides show it as one of the ten most beautiful villages of Europe.
Enclosed by beech forest and crossed by paved walkways and stone houses. In the organization operates the Arcturus with an environmental information center for brown bear and the wolf a mile outside the village. These facilities housed 13 bears, which have been seized by arkoudiarides and zoos , and several wolves respectively - animals which would be impossible to reintegrate them into the wild.
Nympheo became inhabited around 1385 by Vlachs Odites¹, i.e. Latin originated Greeks of Macedonia, who guarded the neighboring Egnatia Road for about 1,400 and then fled to the inaccessible mountains after heavy fights against the Ottoman invaders with whom came to negotiations afterwards since they were privileged with prerogatives of local government, given the right to bear arms under the presupposition of being subordinated to Valinte Soultana (mother of the Sultan), to whom they had to pay lower taxes.
Around 1630 they began work on silver, thus highlighting their village as a well-known region centre of silver and gaining reputation similar to that of the silver makers originated in the regions Syrrako and Kalarryton of Epirus.
In the late 18th century, the incursions of Albanians originated from Orlofika the Vlach-speaking Nympheo for about 1,400 accepted also many refugees from Moschopoli, Linotopi, Nikolitsa and other centers of Vlachs , who were evicted from their places.
Furthermore, much of the population of the village moved to the eastern Macedonia (Serres, Nigrita, Porroia Upper, Lower Tzoumagia, Alistrati) up to the Dardanelles and Istanbul.
The residents of Nympheo region participated in all national competitions before, during and after the Revolution of 1821.
Inhabitants of Nympheo defended the besieged Missolonghi, participated in the uprising of Thessalomacedonians² in 1854 and in the revolution of the Macedonians against the Treaty of St. Stephen in 1878. Their contribution proved to be of great importance on the battles of 1913, 1916 and 1918, and the battles of 1940 -1941, where Nympheo itself was considered to be the cockpit, taking into consideration the National Resistance and the civil war that followed, where great battles took place in the region of Vitsi.
Nympheo is in a distance of 65 km from Kozani, 65 km from Kastoria, 50 kilometers from Florina, 45 km from Ptolemais, 20 km from Amyntaio and 72 km from the ski resort of Vigla.
The journey from Thessaloniki could be achieved :
through the expressway route up to the crossing of Florina - Kozani following after that point the route of Kastoria up to Aetos and Nympheo (160 km). Alternatively, you can follow the following path through Edessa : Agra Lake, Lake Vegoritida, Saint Panteleimon, Amyntaio, Aetos , and Nympheo.
The journey from Athens can be achieved as follows:
• By car, via the National Road up to Larissa and then following the route Tirnavos - Elassona - Ptolemais - Amyndeo - Aetos (540 km).
• By train, getting on in Plati and picking the route through Amyntaio .
• By air, through Kozani or Kastoria.